Sunday, July 21, 2013

One Month

Exactly one month from today, I will already be in Mexico.  A lot of preparation has gone into the making of this journey and there is still a lot to do.  Paperwork, fundraising, and of course packing.  One of the most frequent questions I still get is "What will you be doing in Mexico?"  The simplest answer is "I don't know yet."  Currently, placements are being finalized and I will find out by August.

As I write this, I am struck by just how contrasting my life will be compared to now in 30 days.  This past weekend, I moved out of my apartment in Stevens Point - one of the places I've called home for the last five years.  I said goodbye to my brother who, due to both of our schedules, I probably won't see now until after I come back a year from now.   Right now I'm at camp and having just finished Campfire, this is the time I have to check email and facebook, the weather, etc.  We're going full swing right now - 130+ campers this week.  Which brings me to another place I've called home: camp.  More specifically, W5631 N Pine Lake Rd.  I don't think I'll ever forget that address.  So many things have happened in my life since I first set foot here.  So many firsts have happened in the course of setting foot to different things.  And yet the message of camp is always the same.  There's a song we sing this year that I think sums things up perfectly...

Call my name
And I'll rise up from my sleeping
Give the word 
And I'll leave my world behind
All these days
Like a gentle water falling

Now growing and flowing
Til I'm swept away
Give me bread for my journey
Oh Jesus, I pray

Light my way with faith alive
Light my way with faith alive
Let me burn so bright,
Burn with faith alive.

-Jake-

No comments:

Post a Comment